Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 2 hours 50 minutes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 sausage link (optional; remove for meatless option)
- 2 cups Trinity blend (onions, celery, green bell peppers)
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pack of red beans (1 lb.)
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups broth (vegetable broth for vegetarian option)
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning, to taste
- Addy Daddy Everything seasoning, to taste
- 1-2 bay leaves
- OPTIONAL: Rinse and soak the beans for 1-2 hours. Drain the beans and set them aside.
- Press the "Sauté" button on the Instant Pot, and add the oil.
- Add the Trinity blend (onions, celery, green bell peppers) and garlic. Cook until the onions turn soft and clear.
- Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning over the veggies and stir.
- Add the beans to the pot and combine them with the veggies.
- Cancel the "Sauté" function, then add salt, more Cajun seasoning if desired, water, and broth. Make sure the beans are fully submerged and covered in liquid. Adjust the amount of liquid if needed (no more than 1/2 inch above the beans).
- Close and lock the lid in place. Press "Manual" and set it to 40 minutes at high pressure. *
- When the timer beeps, allow the pressure to release naturally for 15-20 minutes. Then, press the valve to vent.
- Remove the lid and stir, smashing a few beans to create a creamy consistency. Add Addy Daddy Everything seasoning to taste.
- Serve the flavorful red beans over white rice.
*If cooking sausage or wanting to ensure well-seasoned beans, set the pressure-cooking time to 30 minutes. Release the valve, add the sausage if desired, lock the lid, and cook for an additional 10 minutes on low pressure.